Friday, May 1, 2015

The Dance Continues, "My Trip to Cuba."


By Bruce Hodes
Founder/ CEO of CMI Teamwork

CUBA IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK AND NOT WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE.  We as Americans have lots of mental pictures of Cuba and what it is like for those people to live under that regime.  Lots of mystery and disconnect are a part of our collective consciousness about Cuba.   What fascinates is that Cubans are eager to talk and engage.

My first night was on a Saturday, which is typically "Party Time," in Cuba.  The boat is moored on a dingy pier in a small harbor.  It is dead quiet. A still black humid tropical night.  There is no one around except the guard at the gate that barely wakes to motion me through by the slight nod of the head that lifts momentarily from the cluttered desk. 

We are in Cien Fuegos, a major city, and there are no cars.  This is not rare in Cuba. From what I experience, no traffic jams, no smoggy pollution and no cars.  The road beyond the metal gate goes to who knows where.   I follow the dingily lit street which then goes into a more major road.  Out of the darkness I hear sounds and the three emerge.  They have been fishing with poles and fish.  Sort of smelly.

Two burly men and a boy.  I am surrounded.   They keep walking and so do I.  My dance with the Cuban people begins.  We are off.  “Where you are from?” they immediately ask, as they know I am a stranger.  I am guessing that I am not blending in too well.  My ability to converse in Spanish helps. 

As I say I am from Chicago the first says he has a brother in Chicago.  He also has relatives in Miami.  He is not alone in this as I am to find Half the Cubans I meet have people in Miami.  We chit chat and they share excitement that I am American.  95 miles away and they have not met many of us.  Canadians, Germans and Europeans of all types.  It’s all very pleasant and they are my first conversation with real Cubans.  A road to the right and they say good night and then disappear into the darkness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment