Here are some suggestions for managers from CMI’s ABC process:
- Educate your managers: Help them understand the definitions of A, B, and C players by reading some of the following:
- The ABC’s chapter from Front Line Heroes: Battling the Business Tsunami While Developing Performance Oriented Cultures by Bruce Hodes
- “A New Game Plan for C Players” by Beth Axelrod, Helen Handfield-Jones, and Ed Michaels
- Ditch the D & F’s: D & F employees will drag your company down. If you have more than a few D and F employees, sell the firm and do something to save yourself.
- Decide what to do with your C players: give them a new role, develop them in their current role, or let them go.
- Distinguish between A vs. B: The difference between A and B players is their ability to be promoted. B players are great and loyal employees. They are valuable and skilled at what they do. A employees have the drive and the focus to take all the great aspect that B employees have and bring them to the next level.